Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A call for help

God is so amazing. He is really stirring the waters here in Dothan, Ala. He is gathering a remnant of His people to do a great work. One of our pastors at Harvest, Sean Nix, invited Martha and me to a time of prayer this morning at Dothan Christian Fellowship between 6-8. Martha and I usually aren't up at 5 a.m. We usually try to squeeze every second of sleep in that we can. I joked with her last night by saying, "Gosh, you always have to sacrifice something when God is moving in your life." :-)

We went to bed early and got up relatively easy at 5 a.m. There were around 20 people praying at DCF. A good number of teens were there, and there were some people our age and some older. A young man played the guitar and we prayed. We prayed silently, then at other times some of us prayed out loud. At times, the young man would sing a new song that God had placed on his heart.

The prayers were of repentance, of intercession for our city and region. We prayed for God to work through His people in Dothan to show the people His love. It was a great time of prayer and sharing God's word.

Martha and I left about 7:30 so she could get to work on time. Here's where it gets really good. You've heard the saying, "be careful what you ask for." Minutes after praying to God to empower us to help people, my phone rang. A man in need of help saw the Love In Action sign on our warehouse that was installed last week. My phone number is on that sign.

The man's name is Dave, and he was getting a tire worked on at a tire shop close to the warehouse. He had gone to the Piggly Wiggly to check about a job. He's an electrician, but just recently got laid off. He and his son are living in a tent here in Dothan. His son is working and just got his first pay check.

I told him I would meet him at the warehouse in 20 minutes. He arrived just after I did. He's probably in his 50s and very nice. He said he was born again and loved the Lord. He shared his story with me, and he's been through one heart break after another. I told him it wasn't a coincidence that he called. I then shared with him about the prayer meeting this morning and how we were asking God to help us help others and show them His love. His eyes teared up. He knew God had a plan for him.

I told him to take whatever he needed. He said, "I don't want to take too much, because there are people in worse shape than I am." He's not the only homeless person I've heard say that. I helped him pack up some blankets, pillows, pillow cases and hygiene items. He was so happy to get a tooth brush and tooth paste. He said he had lost his. I also told him to pick out one of the nice winter leather coats we have. They are nice and lined, so they will help keep him and his son warm.

As we loaded his car, I saw that his front right tire was going flat. He said the shop had just plugged that tire. I told him before he left I wanted to pray with him. He wanted me to. I prayed for God's favor and for God to pour His love out on Dave.

About 10 minutes later, Dave called me and he was excited. He said the tire shop gave him a free tire. They put it on and said it was free. He said that was God already working in his life.

That's called hope, and we know that only Jesus can give us true hope.

For those who don't know, I'm the editor of the Dothan Eagle. One of our reporters is working on a Thanksgiving story about people who are hungry this Thanksgiving. This morning she came into my office and said she's having a hard time getting in touch with anyone in that situation. I told her about Dave. I called him and asked if he would be willing to talk with her. He was. I pray someone who can give him a job will see that story.

There is a church called Church of the Nations on the other side of the Piggly Wiggly where our warehouse is at, and they are serving Thanksgiving dinner for the needy tonight. Martha and I haven't met the pastor, but the youth from Harvest is helping serve tonight. So, we're going to be there to help and meet the pastor and his wife. I invited Dave and his son to the dinner and Dave said he will be there. Be praying for Dave and his son.

God is amazing. Martha and I have dedicated our lives to helping the homeless and poor, and to reaching the lost. This morning, after being involved in a great time of prayer, God opened another door. And, it was a direct answer to prayer. God's love is amazing.

Those of you in Dothan, keep praying. Those who live elsewhere, believe God to start a great movement in your hometown. Start praying and start doing His will. God is looking for people who will stand in the gap and who are available to Him. I'm thankful and humbled that God is working through Martha and me and Love In Action. It's exciting to be a part of what God is doing here in Dothan, throughout the nation in the inner cities, and in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

Martha's personal devotional yesterday was Matthew 19:26: "Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Yes they are, and I believe Dave will see that too.

No comments:

Popular Posts