Sunday, September 7, 2008

Prayer and Fasting

I sent this out as an e-mail to people on our Love In Action e-mail list. I wanted to share this important message with everyone.

Hello. I hope everyone had a great weekend. We did. It was busy, but great. We started moving into our new 33,000 sq. ft. warehouse this weekend. God is so awesome!

God is opening up more and more doors for Love In Action to minister to the homeless and poor. The most recent open doors are in the countries of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
Haiti is the poorest nations in the western hemisphere and there are a lot of people suffering from malnutrition and starvation. It has been devastated even further with three hurricanes hitting it in the past month, and now Hurricane Ike is dumping a lot of rain on it. Our goal is to ship a container of food out of a port in Miami at the end of this month. The key to distributing food overseas, especially in Haiti where the government is so corrupt, is to have non-governmental contacts. That way you know the food and supplies are getting to the people who need them. We have those contacts in Haiti now. This isn't just a one-time food distribution, however. We plan to do this often.

We also have a great opportunity in the Dominican Republic. The situation is much different than Haiti as far as the government, but there are still a lot of very poor people who need food. We have an opportunity to help establish a school. For just $4,500, we can help secure the use of a school building, which is part of a Christian church in a very poor village in the Dominican. The building needs repairing, so we're working on putting a team of volunteers together to go to the Dominican very soon - hopefully this month - to make the repairs. We know we can purchase the supplies in the Dominican, which is good, because that helps the local economy. Through this school, we can help bring education to 162 children as well as provide them with at least one good meal a day. Our hope is to also help provide at least one meal a day for 400 people a day in that village. That number could quickly grow to 900.

All of that is in addition to our ministry to the homeless and poor here in the U.S. We have a very important and exciting outreach coming up in Atlanta on Sept. 19-20.

God has blessed us with a huge warehouse for a reason, and that is to help the homeless,poor, starving and malnourished people throughout the world. It's a huge task, but one Martha and I are very excited about. We are taking a huge leap of faith, because we don't have the finances to do all of this, but we know God is calling us to do it. When God gives you a vision, He will provide the provision. We have been seeing that more and more. The more we submit to God and are obedient to Him, the more He will work through us.

God gave me a wonderful vision tonight at church during the last worship song. The Harvest Praise Team was singing "How Great Is Our God," and as I had my hands raise in worship to God and my eyes closed, I could see children, women and men in the Dominican and Haiti raising their hands toward Heaven worshipping God. The sun was setting over the mountains and the people were praising our God.

"How great is our God,
sing with me
How great is our God,
and all will see
How great, How great
Is our God"

The people in Haiti and the Dominican have been pretty much ignored by the rest of the world. The United Nations does very little there and not many ministries distribute food there. The U.N. and the U.S. have fallen way short of their promises to supply food to Haiti. I was telling Martha tonight on the way home from church that God constantly leads us to go out and reach the people who the world ignores. He has worked through Love In Action to reach the homeless for more than seven years. The homeless are constantly ignored by society. And now, God is leading us to Haiti and the Dominican. Like we have shown the homeless, we are going to show the people in the Caribbean that while governments will lie to you, there is One who is always faithful and true. One who loves them so much that He died for their sins. And His name is Jesus! They will know that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.

We are asking those of you who can to join us this Tuesday, Sept. 9, for a day of fasting and prayer. We need to fill that warehouse with food, hygiene items, blankets and other supplies. We will need finances to ship and distribute food worldwide. We know our God can do anything. We know God will honor our fasting and praying. He always has and always will. If for medical reasons you cannot fast, please pray. If you feel led to pray and fast for more than one day, or once a week, once a month, however God leads you, please do so. God will bless you for being obedient.

Martha and I are going to be at the warehouse at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday. For those of you who can join us, please come out and join us in prayer at the warehouse. If you can't join us and are able to, please be praying at 6:30 p.m. central time.
There is power in prayer.

The warehouse is located at 1140 Montgomery Highway, Dothan, next to the Piggly Wiggly.

Visit our Web site at www.loveinactionministries.com for information about Food for Haiti and our new warehouse. We have videos on both subjects. Information about the Atlanta outreach is also on the Web site. A link to my Love In Action blog is also there.

For those of you in the Dothan area, if your church doesn't meet on Sunday nights, we have three more Sunday night services in the series called "Deeper Life" at Harvest Church. It has been awesome, and I know it will continue to be so. If you can, I invite you to come out. You will receive a blessing.

There is a lot of great things going on in the Kingdom of God. Our God is so awesome and so worthy of all our praise.

Thanks and God bless.

5 comments:

Dwight Deal said...

I will be fasting and praying with you on Tuesday. God is going to do a mighty work through LIA. I am so glad that God led me to your website. I do have a special burden for Haiti. I have worked in a mission hospital there. It is the poorest place that I have ever been in my life. I do warn you to not go to Haiti if you do not want the greatest spiritual event of your life to happen. Communion with stale crackers and grape koolaid will chage your whole life. Watching kids line up behind a jeep to recieve a cup of ice to pour their koolaid over will change your life. They get to do that once a month. I hate to ramble ,but obey God and he will richly bless you. Ken and Martha, thanks for what you do. Thanks for helping me reach a dream of helping feed peopl spiritually and physically. I am praying for you everyday. I hope that you are ready to watch God work.

Pastor Mike's Blog said...

Ken,
Thanks for your wisdom last night during our meeting.
Mike

Ken Tuck said...

Dwight,
I know your heart for the people of Haiti. The experiences you shared with me about your trip there gave me an even greater desire to go there to help them, especially the children.
Thanks for joining Martha and me today in prayer and fasting. I can't wait to see what happens through this time. The last time I committed to praying and fasting, God moved tremendously and blessed us with you, the warehouse and much needed finances. We serve an awesome God. The verses that have been on my heart and still is today is Ephesians 3:20-21: "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
We serve an awesome God!

Mike,
Thanks for calling. I hope I was able to help. I love you, Tony, Dewayne, Jim and everyone at The Potter's House. Know that y'all are in mine and Martha's prayers. I know you have been going through it for a while, but through all of the tears, frustrations and sleepless nights, God will bless you.
It's like what is written in James 1:12: "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."
Stay strong in Christ, and you know I'm here for you any time of the day or night.
I love you Bro.

Dewayne Morris said...

Ken,
Thanks for your encouragement. I just checked in at 7:00 but I will begin praying now for all that LIA is doing and for God to fill that warehouse again and again.How Great is Our God!
Dewayne

Ken Tuck said...

Thanks Dewayne. Great hearing from you. I miss you man. I know y'all have been going through it with you know who, but you, Mike, Tony and Jim are four great men of God and I know that through perseverance in Christ, y'all will lead the congregation through it and the church will be so much stronger for it. Y'all are strong leaders. I still count it a great honor and priviledge to have served with y'all for all of those years. I'm a lot better for it.
We need to get together for lunch or something soon. Of course, if restaurants hear you and I are going to eat together, they may all close their doors. :-)
Tell Sandy and the boys hi.
Thanks for the prayers. God is doing so many awesome things. We do indeed serve an awesome God.
I love you Bro.

Popular Posts