Friday, November 28, 2008

There are hurting people everywhere

There is so much hurt and suffering in the world today. So many people living without hope. It's in my hometown and it's in your hometown. All you have to do is take a moment, look around and listen. You see it in the eyes of the people and hear it in their conversations. I challenge you to pray and ask God to show you these people. I'll take that challenge a step further. Pray and ask God to show you the people and then ask Him to use you to bring His hope into their lives. Before you pray, make sure you are serious, because God will do it. Don't pray that prayer if you're not willing to follow through.

I wrote an earlier blog about an early morning prayer meeting Martha and I attended. We've been ministering to the homeless and poor for years -- four years as husband and wife and eight years all total. At that prayer meeting we asked God to pour out His love on the hurting in Dothan, Ala. We asked him to use us, work through us.

You've read how God answered that prayer just minutes later. He brought Dave and Bryan into our lives. They're the two homeless men who were living in a tent. You noticed I used the phrase "were living in a tent." They are now in a hotel where people can stay weeks at a time. This will be their first night in a real bed with a shelter over their heads this week. They now have food in a refrigerator and freezer. They see how God is working in their lives, and while they are tired, they are very thankful. The next step is getting Dave a job, then getting them into their own home. Dave has a heart for the ministry, and God is already using him. They both are allowing me to speak into their lives and give them advice as well. Pray for me that I will give them the right advice.

Today, while we were waiting in line to check them into the hotel, Dave and I were talking about Jesus and the ministry. I heard a guy in front of us mention that he's a carpenter and there's no work right now. He didn't know how he would pay for his rent, but his former boss loaned him the money for another week's rent at the hotel.

As Dave and I were walking to check out the room that was available, that man stopped us and said he heard us talking about a ministry. He said, "please pray for me" and started to walk into his room. At the same time, Dave and I said, "we'll pray for you right now." The man's name is Russ and he invited us into his room and we prayed. He's hurting really bad. He's going through a divorce, doesn't have a job and doesn't know where his next meal is coming from.

He has food now and I pray some hope. Martha and I visited him tonight and prayed with him. He desires to be back with his wife, to have a job, and be at peace again. He asked if we would come see him tomorrow for Bible study. How could we say no? So, I told him and then Dave, that we'll go to the Atlanta Bread Company for lunch tomorrow and have a Bible study there. Hopefully Bryan will be able to join us.

Russ wants to go to church with us Sunday morning. If Bryan isn't working, he will be in church with us as well. Dave will be at another church on Sunday because of a prior commitment, then at Harvest the next Sunday.

God is moving and working. I was thinking tonight. Where was Jesus when He walked the earth? He was ministering to the poor and hurting. Martha and I are so thankful for this ministry and for the call God has on our lives. God has moved us to another level now. It's hard to explain, but every where we turn God leads us to see people hurting. I pray we'll always be ready and able to help and bring them the greatest hope of all, and that's life and salvation in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Popular Posts