Thursday, September 19, 2013

Day 17: Praying for the Exploited

By Gia Hughes
LIA Director of Human Trafficking Outreach
 
Pray for godly men to model lifestyles of respect and dignity before other men in their community.

In Robert W. Reed’s article on “The Marks of Godly Men,” he says, “Manhood in this day and age is measured with a false balance. The world sees a “man” as one who can run the fastest, lift the most weights, drive the fastest, punch the hardest, swim the farthest, dive the deepest, kick the pigskin through two up-right poles the straightest, slam dunk the best, hit a ball the fastest and farthest, etc.

The Lord describes manhood quite differently. To be Godly men you must possess the characteristics that He possesses, to strive to be like Him. To be . . .

Men of Faith - “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6
Strong & Courageous - “Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9

Men of Integrity- Job’s characteristics of being a godly man shine through in chapter 29 as it accounts his concern for the poor, widows and the fatherless, and how he had walked in righteousness before the Lord. It reveals how he stood against sin and gave counsel to those in need of godly directions.

Men of Principle - “And I sought for a man among them that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none." - Ezekiel 22:30

Ezekiel was a man who stood in the gap.

Men of Prayer - “Therefore, I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or argument." - 1Timothy 2:8

Men of Endurance- “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” - 2Timothy 4:7

And there are many more character traits to strive toward. Not an easy task in this day, but certainly worth it. I am thankful for the men God has placed in my life that exhibit these and other godly qualities. I pray more men will rise up to let their lives shine on Jesus as an example to a dark and confused world.

No comments:

Popular Posts