Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Discipleship: It's a very good thing

Martha and I always look forward to our Wednesday night Bible studies at the Love In Action warehouse. We invite the homeless, but right now the majority of those at the Bible studies are men from the Houston County Community Corrections Work Release. A married couple from our home church, Harvest, are mentors and bring the guys to church on Sundays and to the warehouse on Wednesdays. Now that we have our van we can help Doug and Janice by picking the guys up.

There were nine of us at the Bible study tonight. The theme for tonight was "Discipleship." We studied and talked about what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. As always, there were questions and good discussion. I always encourage the guys to join the discussion and ask questions. More of them are getting involved now.

Before we closed in prayer, I asked for any prayer requests. One of the men, who is just 25 years old, raised his hand and asked for prayer for the guys who are being released this month and next month. One of those guys is his friend who attends every Bible study and church service. You could tell he was really sincere in his request. He wants to see his friend live for Jesus and not end up back in jail. What he said next made my night.

He shared how he never was one to pray, but he's been praying lately. He said, "I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me or what, but I'm seeing things happening." He is seeing God working in his life. He has heard sermons at Harvest about prayers. We have had a Bible study about prayer and often talk about the importance of prayer. He decided to start praying, and God is honoring his obedience.

It was awesome to hear him share that and to see the smile on his face. That's growth. That's the result of discipleship.

I praise God for those men. Sure, some times we get guys who aren't serious and they end up messing up and getting sent back to the main jail. But you know what? They still hear the Word of God, and eventually something may stick. Then there are guys who really dig into God and become free spiritually before they are set free physically. We're seeing that happen and it's awesome. God is awesome!

Thanks Doug and Janice for introducing us to those guys. You both do a great work. I said tonight that I love those guys, and I meant it. To see them growing in Jesus is wonderful.

God never gives up on anyone, not even people in jail. Please pray for the men in the work release program, and pray for those of us who minister to them.

1 comment:

Brian Turner said...

Hey brother! I am standing with you, and praying for you. I know God will use you to make a tremendous impact in the lives of those men.

Popular Posts