Friday, April 3, 2009

Finding higher ground during the flood

This photo is one I took last Saturday morning showing how high the flood waters rose in Dothan, Ala. This is downtown at the intersection of Columbia Hwy. and East Main Street.


It's been a crazy week, and I for one am glad it's over. It started last Saturday when heavy, and I do mean heavy, rains brought flooding to Dothan, Ala. Being a journalist, that was no time to sit around watching it rain. I started reporting on the storms around 6:30 that morning and didn't slow down until today. I will be enjoying a nice three-day weekend.

I do want to thank my precious wife for driving me around last Saturday in the flood to get video and photos for dothaneagle.com and the Dothan Eagle. My wife is awesome!

I want to thank my staff at the Eagle for their tremendous work giving our readers in print and online terrific coverage. I tell people all the time that I am blessed with the most talented staff any editor could ever want. They are all good people and good journalists. Thanks again Eagle crew! Y'all rock!

Though it seems like I spent most every waking hour at the Eagle or in front of my computer reporting from home, some ministry still took place. The torrential rains flooded a number of people out of their homes. On Tuesday I received a call from Vickie, a very sweet woman who is the director of the Catholic Social Services in Dothan. She said a very nice elderly man named Rex had come to them seeking help. He had been flooded out of his home, which was what most people would call a shack.

To make matters worse, he was handicapped. He has to use one of those Scooters to get around. He pretty much has to crawl when he isn't on the Scooter. He's 74 years old and he was a preacher for more than 50 years.

All of that is heartbreaking. Here was a man of God who had become homeless in a matter of hours because of the flood. It was heartbreaking also because someone who worked for 50-plus years shouldn't have to be living in a shack, especially a pastor.

We were able to put him in a handicapped accessible hotel room for a few days until his monthly disability check arrived. Vickie was helping him find a suitable apartment; something better than where he was living.

Thanks to those who financially support Love In Action, we are able to help those in need. Rex is one example of your kindness helping us show God's love to those hurting. Thank you.

No comments:

Popular Posts