Saturday, March 14, 2009

It's good to worship God

Many of you know that I'm the editor of the Dothan Eagle. Whether you live in Dothan, Alabama or London, England, you heard about the 11 people who died in a shooting spree in the small Alabama towns of Kinston, Samson and Geneva last Tuesday. Nine people were gunned down in Samson. The shooter killed his mother in Kinston, then killed himself in Geneva.

It was a horrifying day. I didn't know until Friday night that one of our pastors at Harvest and his wife were in Geneva where a shootout happened. Just to know that two people Martha and I love very much were in such a dangerous situation is unsettling.

The week at work was filled with coverage of what was the worse killing spree in the history of the state of Alabama. I am very thankful for and proud of my staff. Their writing, editing, photography and design told the story of what happened in a very professional and compassionate way. We were able to find some amazing stories to tell people about, including how the last shooting victim had tried to run the killer off the road after witnessing two people get shot at a convenience store. The Dothan Eagle was quoted and our photos used throughout the nation and the world. Our front pages were held up in front of the cameras of major news outlets. In the business, that's called owning a story.

The loss of life is extremely sad, and I can't imagine the pain of the people whose loved ones were gunned down. Especially, the sheriff deputy whose wife and child were murdered and whose 18-month-old baby was injured. Thankfully she is back home and doing good. Or, another man who lost his wife and 15-year-old son. Please pray for everyone whose loved ones died in the shooting spree.

It was a tough week. All week we covered this story. All week we were writing about and talking about death. It was a very long week going into the office early and coming home very late. By Friday, all of us were completely drained.

On Thursday I received an e-mail from Harvest. It was a reminder of the special Friday Night Worship service. I had forgotten about the service. I told Martha that I needed that service. I needed to worship God.

As Friday went on I grew more and more tired. I started thinking that I would just go home and go to sleep. But, thankfully I didn't give in and met Martha at church. Oh, it's so good to worship God. To be surrounded by life and worship the One who gives life lifted me up. After two hours of praise and worship, I left feeling good and energized.

No matter how you feel - whether you are on a mountain top or flat worn out - it's good to worship God. Our God is so awesome. He gives His all for us. We should give our all for Him. When we do, He blesses us and lifts us up. I love you Father God.

3 comments:

Pastor Mike's Blog said...

Do you remember I called to let you know you was on my heart right before this broke?

God knew the evil plans about to be unleashed on innocent people.

I followed the events on your website. I noticed all the major news agencies was quoting the Eagle as well. You guys did great.

Stay rested!

Love ya bro,
Mike

Ken Tuck said...

I do remember. God always lets you know when to pray for me. Thanks for your prayers. My staff and I needed them. And, still do as we cover the funerals. Most importantly, let's all keep praying for the vicitims' family and friends.
Love you Bro,

Ken

Brian Turner said...

I love you Ken Tuckie Tuck!

Popular Posts