Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pray for Sabrina

Tonight after work I went to the post office as I do most evenings. As I walked through the doors to check Love In Action's P.O. Box, I saw a baby stroller and someone sitting on the floor on the other side of the stroller. Upon closer examination I saw there wasn't a baby in the stroller. Instead a suitcase was in it, a long with a broom and a large drink bottle. I knew what was going on. It was a rainy night and a homeless person was seeking refuge in the post office.

I looked around the stroller and saw an unkempt woman sitting on a sleeping bag rubbing her eyes. I asked her if she was OK and if she needed some help. She said "I'm homeless," with a shaky voice due to her being scared. I chatted with her to let her know I meant her no harm. I asked if she was hungry and she was. I told her that I would go get her some food.

I came back and she was very appreciative for the food. She arrived in Dothan on a bus. Her name is Sabrina. She's not mentally retarded, but she would be what society would classify as "special." She was very polite and talked a lot about Jesus.

I called Martha and asked her to meet me at the post office. She did, then we took Sabrina to a hotel. Strong storms are in the forecast for tonight, and I knew it was only a matter of time before Sabrina was kicked out of the post office and back on the streets. I couldn't stand the thought of Sabrina being out in the weather. She looked very tired and a good night's rest would do her good.

We gave her a blanket and a small box filled with hygiene items, gloves, and other items that will be useful to her. Tomorrow she will go to Mama Tina's Mission House for a good lunch.

Please pray for Sabrina. Pray for her safety and that she will be able to get the help she needs.

No comments:

Popular Posts