Saturday, February 23, 2019

God's grace and Birmingham


Trips to Birmingham in recent years seem to mainly revolve around hospital visits. Some for me and some for others. Through these trips I've learned more about God's grace.

The Apostle Paul records God's answer to a prayer request in 2 Corinthians 12:9. Paul prays three times for God to take a "thorn in the flesh" away from him. God says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

The trips to Birmingham revealed God's grace and how His power is made perfect in my weaknesses.

The driving is easy enough, even with some Birmingham traffic jams. Go in with the right mindset and traffic jams don't really bother me anymore. For the most part it's beautiful scenery. Taking in God's creation is a favorite hobby. Pines and Oaks outline pastures dotted with cattle, and forest-lined roadways make for a pleasant drive. Add beautiful blue skies, majestic sunsets, or moonlit nights, and it's just hard to beat.

Reasons for the trips aren't always pleasant, though. Taking Mama to UAB for heart surgery four years ago was unsettling. Knowing they would be replacing a heart valve while hooking her up to a machine to keep her alive wasn't very comforting.

God's grace was indeed sufficient as our family gathered. We prayed and ate together, and let each other know when we found a spot where we could get a cell signal within the massive hospital.

Following surgery, Mama was in ICU. Visits were short, but with each visit we saw improvements. Even on those visits during non-visiting hours when the nurses understood a son just has to see his Mama, I saw that  in my weakness, God was strong.

The grace of God brought Mama and all of us through that surgery and her recovery.

I was the patient on another trip. A prostate biopsy needed to be performed. The "C" word, cancer, is one nobody wants to hear. It's taken too many of my family out. When the doctor first told me I had it, I freaked out for about five minutes. That wasn't part of the plan. My brother and I agreed in prayer cancer wouldn't take any more of us after Daddy died.

Anger, disbelief, fear all hit me at once. Then, God's grace washed over me. Whose plan was I living by, mine or God's? A diagnosis doesn't mean God is finished with me. Trust God. Fear has no place. In my weakness, He is strong.

Subsequent trips for MRIs and PSA tests revealed God's grace and healing. No longer am I hesitant to drive to Birmingham once a year for tests.

I've driven friends to hospitals in the Steel City. One of those trips was a nightmare. I'll leave out the details, but nobody wants to see a friend or anyone else suffer like that. Through the agony and horrific moments, God's grace was sufficient.

Thursday's trip to take a friend to the Magic City for surgery was much more peaceful. God's grace is just as evident during peaceful times. We need God's grace at all times. The moment we think we can do it on our own, that's the moment we fall apart.

God's grace is sufficient. Ask Him to wash over you with His grace, soak every area. I've learned to be like Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:9, "I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

No comments:

Popular Posts