I want to share a short story with you. It’s a true story and one I know very well, because it’s my story. I was blessed to be born into a wonderful Christian family with a mom, dad, brother and sister I love dearly. I was raised in church, and at the age of 12 prayed to accept Jesus into my heart and was baptized. However, it really didn’t mean much to me. I didn’t take Jesus seriously. It did lay a firm foundation, though.

As is the case with most teenagers, I became rebellious, and it continued into my early 20s. I sought after things that pleased and satisfied me. The old saying, “Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll” was pretty much my motto. I liked it. I enjoyed it. I was good at that lifestyle. However, when I started dating a young woman who had more faith than me, I started learning more about Jesus than ever before. I started hanging out with an evangelist named Andy Bryan. Many people loved Andy. He was one of a kind, and a great man. Every time he preached, I felt a conviction, a tugging at my heart.

Have you ever seen the cartoon where the devil was on one shoulder of a person talking into one ear, and an angel on the other shoulder talking into the other ear? That’s what it felt like. The devil was saying, “You’re OK. You don’t need what Andy is preaching.” The other voice, which was the Holy Spirit, was saying, “You need Jesus. Now is the day of salvation.” 

I kept pushing it off until one night in Clio. Andy preached another awesome sermon and I fought and fought against the Holy Spirit’s urging me to go forward. I didn’t respond, but taking my girlfriend home that evening the Holy Spirit attacked me like never before, drawing me to Jesus. I didn’t say one word while driving her home, which was highly unusual. When I pulled into her driveway, she asked, “What’s wrong?” With tears in my eyes I said, “I need Jesus. I’m not saved.” She said, “You know what to do.” Right there on that March night in 1989 in my Chevrolet Chevette, I prayed, repented and gave my life to Jesus.

From that night, Jesus has been transforming my life. I’m far from perfect, but I no longer look to please myself or fulfill those sinful desires that were only destroying me. God changed my heart and my outlook on life. I want to please my Heavenly Father. I want to know Him more. I want less of me and more of Jesus. My desire is to tell others about Him, and how they can receive forgiveness and eternal life through Jesus Christ. It’s my heart’s burning desire for people to know that Jesus is the only way, truth and life, and that He is the only way to the Father.

God broke my heart more than 18 years ago for the homeless and needy. Today, I have the highest honor and privilege of serving Jesus with my beautiful bride, Martha, as we show the love of Jesus and tell people about our Lord and Savior every day. God called us to serve the “least of these” (Matthew 25:35-40), and it is such a joy to do so. God has also called us to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ with unreached people groups in other parts of the world. He showed us long ago the truth of His Great Commission about going and making disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, teaching them all Jesus has taught us. And, we know His promise of always being with us. We have been blessed to preach the Gospel in six countries, and next month the seventh country as we travel to India.

I want you to know Jesus. If you have never given your life to Jesus, I encourage you to do so now. I promise you will not regret it. It’s not about “Thou shall not” do this or that. It’s discovering the love of God Himself through His one and only son Jesus Christ. Romans 10:9 tells us if we confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts God raised Him from the dead we will be saved. So, confess and believe. He will forgive you and give you life here and life eternal. Heaven and Hell are real. Live for Jesus now and experience Heaven. Or, this earth will be the closest thing to Heaven you will ever experience. Comment or private message me if you want to talk more.

If you are a follower of Jesus, then I encourage you to be a true disciple and go and tell others about Jesus and make disciples who can make disciples. You don’t have to be a pastor, evangelist or president of a ministry to fulfill the Great Commission. I was in the workforce for 25 years, and I served Jesus at the same time. Being a follower of Jesus is a lifestyle, not an event, outreach or mission trip. Let’s let His light shine through all of us for His glory. To God be the glory!