Sunday, January 10, 2016

One person can make a difference


Most of us dream of making a difference in the world, but quickly come to our own conclusion that we can't really do much. Nothing could be further from the truth, and we were reminded of that in a powerful way Friday night.

Our dear friend and sister Tajuan McCarty shared her testimony Friday night at our "Breaking the Silence: A Voice of Freedom and Hope" event. Tajuan's life truly shows the love, mercy and grace of God. After a dysfunctional childhood, being sexually exploited through human trafficking, drug abuse and spending time in jail and prison, Jesus wrapped His loving arms around her and brought her out of the darkness into his marvelous light.

Tajuan said something Friday night that I'm going to quote often. Of course, I'll give her the credit. :-)
She said, "One person can make a difference. If you help one person, you've made a difference."

Jesus reached Tajuan through a woman she didn't know. Lisa Richardson was trying to reach out to prostitutes in Birmingham when Tajuan met her. Tajuan wasn't being exploited through human trafficking at that time, but she knew the life and what a person trapped in that life would need to hear and see to accept help. Lisa asked how she knew about that, and Tajuan told her she had been trafficked for sex in 48 states and in Canada and Mexico.

Instead of judging and condemning her, Lisa kept loving and encouraging Tajuan. Through her love and compassion, Tajuan surrendered to Jesus. Later she would open The WellHouse, a safe home for women escaping human trafficking. This ministry has helped thousands of women.

What if Lisa thought she couldn't do anything, because she didn't think she could reach prostitutes for Jesus? What if she decided she couldn't do anything to help Tajuan? Thankfully, Lisa trusted Jesus and allowed Him to work through her. Look at all of the lives she has touched by showing the love of Jesus to Tajuan.

Who reached you for Jesus? What if that person decided he or she couldn't do anything and gave up? Your life would be different, and your eternity definitely would not be as wonderful as it will be.

When I look back I think about all the people who had a positive influence on my life before I surrendered my life to Jesus. My parents, siblings, friends and some ministers definitely played big parts in leading me to Jesus. But there is one person in particular I often think about and thank God for him.

I was a teenager playing softball for my church. I was a very intense and aggressive competitor. No matter the sport, when I was on the field or court I wanted to win, and I'd rip your head off to do it. I had a short temper as well. One of my teammates was a man named Mike Alsop. I blew up at him several times. I look back and think he had every right to snap back and call me a young punk, among  other adjectives. But he didn't. He showed great patience with me.

Mike's treatment of me stuck with me, and still does. Instead of punching me, he showed the love of Jesus to me. I haven't seen nor talked with Mike since I was 18, but I still think of him and thank God for him.

What if Mike would have punched me or cussed me out? He didn't. He made a difference in my life that has stayed with me more than 30 years later.

Don't believe the lie that you can't make a difference. You can. You can make a difference in one person's life. Who knows, you may be the person God wants to work through to reach the next Tajuan or the next Billy Graham.

I promise one thing. Once you make a difference in one person's life, you will ask God to keep using you to touch other lives for His glory.

No comments:

Popular Posts