Thursday, January 16, 2014

Unexpected, exciting opportunity in China



Martha and I knew 2014 would be an exciting year as God expands Love In Action International Ministries to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  And, just like God, He opened a new door for a different kind of ministry opportunity we didn’t see coming.

As most of you know, I resigned from the Dothan Eagle in December to concentrate more on ministry. Martha and I actually made that decision in September, but waited until we got closer to December to make the announcement. A year’s worth of prayer went into that decision, and God gave us one confirmation after another that showed us we were making the right decision. We had actually prayed for years about it, but the past year was more intensive prayer about this major life decision.

As I write this blog we are in a plane at more than 31,000 feet above the earth flying to Hong Kong. This is the unexpected part of this new phase in our lives. I discovered God didn’t want me to completely leave the business world. In fact, He has put me right in the middle of it, and Martha and I are excited about it. At the same time it doesn’t stop or slow down the reason I resigned to begin with. Only God could figure out a way to do that.

Back in October as I chatted with SoZo Group CEO Raymond Cheng, an opportunity arose. SoZo builds bridges between US and China business interests, fostering closer business ties, while advancing Chinese investment in the U.S., American investment in China, and trade between the world's two biggest economies. Ray has a great vision for his company.

In October, Ray told me his company needed help with their “Chinglish.” In other words, they did a great job communicating in Mandarin and Cantonese, but needed help with English.  I told him I might be able to help beginning in January. I explained to Ray our decision for me to resign from the Eagle and focus more on ministry. Ray understands my passion for Jesus and doing His work.

We talked some more and decided I would do some freelance writing and editing beginning in January. That has turned into Ray offering me the job of communications director for the SoZo Group, with the caveat that LIA comes first. In fact, Ray said, “We will schedule your work around your mission work.”

So God has opened a new ministry opportunity. God gives each of us skills and talents. He blessed me with the ability to write, edit, manage and build strong teams. Now, God has provided me the opportunity to use the talents He’s given me in China. No, we won’t be living there, but I’ll make several trips there each year.

My goal is to make that a mission field as God is opening doors for me to meet and build relationships with top industry owners and governmental officials. My prayer is they will see Jesus in me. Some of them already are Christians, and I pray God will use me to lead others in the business world, both in the US and China, to Jesus.

God will use Martha through this new venture as well, just like He did in my newspaper career.
While working with SoZo, Martha and I will still be based in Dothan, as SoZo has a Dothan office now. That means I will be able to spend more time than ever doing ministry work.  My schedule will be a lot different than newspaper work. I’ll be able to be out in the daytime and go out into the woods, under bridges and elsewhere to help the homeless. I’ll have more time to spend recruiting medical volunteers and securing funds and equipment that our Samaritan Clinic needs. I’ll have more time to talk at civic clubs, churches and any other open door to let people know what God is doing through LIA in Dothan and throughout the world.

Traveling to Asia several times a year will afford us with the opportunity to visit our friends in Myanmar and Philippines more often, and make our first trip to Pakistan where God has opened a wonderful door.  That means more mission trip opportunities for people.

Another great thing about SoZo is Ray wants to help LIA. He wants his staff to go on mission trips with us. That is amazing.

So, Martha and I are on our way to Hong Kong and then to mainland China for the next six days. We will be extremely busy, but enjoying this new experience at the same time. I would ask that you pray for us. Pray that the light of Jesus will shine brightly through us as we meet new people. Pray that God will touch the people’s hearts in China. Pray that God will open opportunities to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ in China.

This new phase of our lives gets more exciting every day. We told Jesus wherever He leads we will go. We have learned not to say that unless we are serious, and we are serious. Jesus says to “Go and make disciples of all nations …” That’s the Great Commission. I encourage you to dive in head first in His Great Commission.

He wants to use the skills and talents He has blessed you with for His glory. Let Him work through you at your place of business, school and home. Then, pray where He wants you to go and use those same talents and skills in a different part of the world. Then take a short-term mission trip. You can’t afford it? Neither could we or a lot of other people we know, but once you put your trust in God and His provision, He will make a way. I don’t know how He does it, except that He is God and He can do anything He wants to.

We serve an awesome God.

No comments:

Popular Posts