Sunday, September 4, 2011

Officially an ordained minister

All of us who follow Jesus Christ are called to be ministers of the Gospel. That's clearly seen in Matthew 28:19-20, when Jesus said, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (NIV)


He has given us all different gifts in which to minister. According to the Apostle Paul, Jesus also gave certain offices to be held in the Body of Christ by those He called to serve in those capacities. In Ephesians 4:11-2, Paul writes, "Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ."
 
I believe God calls people, not man. So, I don't place a lot of stock in a piece of paper that says I am an ordained minister. However, I know it is important to have that piece of paper for a variety of reasons. First, it is like a seal of approval, the first of which comes from God through His Holy Spirit, of course. Being a licensed and ordained minister is also a recognition from those God has placed in authority to appoint people to certain leadership positions within the Body of Christ.

For more than 11 years I have responded to the calling of evangelism God gave me. For many years people have been calling me "pastor" and "preacher man." Love In Action co-founder Mike Shroades has told me for years I am a pastor to the homeless and poor.


I started having a desire to become a licensed and ordained minister. I felt God was leading me to, and I knew it would be good for the ministry as well. Also, people we have ministered to have asked me to marry them in the past, but I couldn't because the state of Alabama will only give an ordained minister the authority to officiate weddings. Being an ordained minister I could also baptize people, which I have been asked to do.


I searched for the right organization to be ordained through. I didn't want some flaky bunch that prints out any kind of ordination certificate for any kind of religion, and there are a bunch of them out there. I finally came across an organization called the National Association of Christian Ministers. I thoroughly investigated them. Being a journalist for 20 years has given me good skills to do that. What I found was an upstanding organization that is biblically grounded. Their beliefs and values line up with the Word of God.


They are also an independent Christian organization, which is important as well. Since we have people from so many different Christian denominations, I didn't want to align myself or Love In Action with a particular denomination. We are all about the Body of Christ working together to reach the lost.


Last Thursday I received the confirmation of my ordination. Here is the what the N.A.C.M. sent:

"The National Association of Christian Ministers (N.A.C.M.), LC acknowledges that:
You have demonstrated a devout belief in the Christian faith, a call to ministry, and have passed the scrutiny of the Council of Elders. Therefore, on the authority of Matthew 28:19-20, this religious organization deems you an Independent Ordained Minister with all of the obligations and rites that are associated with this title.

"Father, in the name of Jesus we set apart your servant this day requesting that you make use of them in the ministry of your Kingdom.  We ask that you give them wisdom to know your ways, strength to resist sin, courage to face adversity, and a love for people that fulfills your law.  We thank you for your purpose and calling on their life. By the blood of Jesus and the power of His Spirit –AMEN.

"Congratulations on your acceptance and recognition into the Christian ministry of Jesus Christ. The N.A.C.M. has enlisted you in its Minister Verification Database (MVD) so that government and civil agencies may confirm your good standing with our organization."

I thank Martha, my beautiful wife and ministry partner, for her love and support, and our Love In Action board of directors for their guidance and encouragement. And, I thank N.A.C.M. for approving me for ordination.

1 comment:

Deb Martin Irby said...

Congratulations Ken!!! I am sooo proud of you and how the Lord is using you...has used you and will continue to use you... Keeping you and Martha at the top of my prayer list!!! We love you, Deb and Matthew

Popular Posts