Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rick is a miracle

If you have never met Rick Denney you have missed out on meeting someone very special.

On the night of July 16, 2010, Rick was walking across the railroad tracks in Dothan, Ala., when somoene or several people came up from behind him, mugged and robbed him, and left him on the tracks. When Rick woke up he was underneath tons and tons of steel. "I wondered how I ended up under a train," Rick said.

A train ran over Rick and dragged him down the tracks. "I prayed and asked God not to let the train move," he said. Then somehow Rick pulled himself out from underneath the train and rolled down a hill. The train's engineer was afraid to get out of his conductor's seat. Engineers have seen what trains can do to cars that attempt fate and try to outrun a train. He was horrified at what the train did to human flesh.

Rick was transported by ambulance to a Dothan hospital. Amazingly, Rick would live. Both of his hips were dislocated, he had cuts and bruises on his head and face, and his left foot was badly injured. However, none of the injuries were life-threatening. That in itself was a miracle.

Rick called the next morning and told me what happened. See, Rick had been homeless in Dothan when I met him. He became a regular at Love In Action. We all quickly recognized that Rick was special. If he could just overcome alcohol, God could use him so mightily.

God did not make that train run over Rick, but I believe He allowed it to happen to get Rick's attention. Rick told me the morning of July 17, that the old Rick died under that train and the new Rick crawled out from under the train.

He spent about a month in the hospital, then the Dothan Rescue Mission opened their facilities to him. Rick found himself bound to a wheel chair, but he didn't let that slow him down. In time, he became a regular volunteer and soon became kitchen manager at the mission. He prepared food daily for lunch and dinner for the homeless and needy in the community.

This past Thursday he took another step forward as he moved out of the mission. I was privileged to pick him up and move him into a local hotel. He is now feeling the freedom of being on his own again, but this time it's different.

He's not drinking, and he's growing more and more in Jesus Christ. He is still a regular on Tuesday nights at our Celebrate Recovery Inside, and now he is a regular volunteer.

Today, Martha and I picked him up for church. He thoroughly enjoyed the service at Harvest.

Soon, we hope to have Rick in his own home.

Martha and I enjoy spending time with Rick. God's hand is truly upon him. He has such a gentle and humble spirit. We can't wait to see what else God will do in Rick's life. Please keep him in your prayers, and if you get a chance to meet him, take it. You will be glad you did.

3 comments:

Leslie Oden said...

Thank you so much for sharing the miracle of Rick's rescue and redemption with all of us! No matter how far we fall, we are never out of God's reach. So thankful that Love In Action and Celebrate Recovery are there for Rick and so many others. Keep doing the work, you are making a difference!

Anonymous said...

Rickey is My Uncle, My fathers brother... I was in shock when i herd what had happend, untill today i've been trying to reach him, but finely i got to talk to him... I love you uncle rickey. And imma be up there to see you as soon as i get the gas money... I wish you would come stay at my home here in Tampa, but i know you have got your own life. I just want you to know, you have always been a blessing, people just never could see past there own issues to relize it... I have been blesed to have you as my uncle and to know you the way i do.. You will ALWAYS be my fav. uncle... ALWAYS.. I love you uncle rickey, Love Always Fanny Ollieann Denney

Unknown said...

After seeing Rick at Harvest Church here in Dothan many Sundays with the Tucks, it was wonderful to read about his life and how God has changed it!! What a mighty God we serve!

Robin

Popular Posts