Thursday, May 20, 2010

'I'm tired of living like this'

I received one of those phone calls yesterday that I love to get. It was from a homeless man, and he said these words: "I'm tired of living like this. I want to change and live a normal life."

We have known Bill for the past couple of months. We've helped him with food, hygiene items, camping supplies, and we've just been sharing the love of Jesus Christ with him. He's a nice, gentle man, around 50 years old. He's tall, slender and has a thick beard.

When we first met him, I told Bill that when he was ready to come off the streets, we will be here to help him. Then I shared Martha's favorite verse with him: Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

That's what we tell the homeless. We want them to know that God loves them, and He has great plans for them. And, we want them to know that we love them. You can't force a person to come off the streets. But when you constantly love on them with the love of Jesus Christ, they will eventually realize God has better things for them. And, when they are ready, they will tell you.

Martha and I are excited for Bill. He came to Bible study last night at the Love In Action Ministry Center, and afterward Bill and I talked for a long time. We started mapping out action plans for him to come off the streets.

One of the first things he wants to do is "clean up." He said he wanted to get a shower, a haircut, shave his beard off, and wash his clothes. "I don't need to look like I live in the woods when I'm trying to get a job," he said. That's why we can't wait to get our building project completed. We will have showers and a laundry room where the homeless can get clean and have their clothes washed.

We're looking for a place for Bill to stay until he gets a job and is able to afford his own place. A hotel is too expensive, so far now, our bus is his home. Bill said, "I'm tired of living this way. I'm tired of camping in the woods and being run off or not knowing who is sneaking up on you when you're sleeping. I'd be happy sleeping in someone's shed with my sleeping bag just to be safe."

We take so much for granted. To think that a shed would be a nice home for someone really blows my mind. Most of us really don't realize how much God has blessed us.

Bill has a hope and future. God says so, and we believe it. And now we set out on that road with Bill to help him come out of homelessness and into the real life God has for him.

If you can help us, please do. Again, Bill needs a place to stay until he gets a job. If anyone has a loft apartment or, for now, even a shed he can sleep safely in, please let me know.

As for work, Bill has a variety of skills. He can do warehouse work, run a fork lift, front end loader, any kind of farm tractor, lawn work, chain saw work, some carpentry, and he has worked in tire stores in the past.

If you know of any jobs, please let me know. Call me at 334-494-4995 and/or email me at loveinactionministries@hotmail.com

Wow. As I was about to finish this blog, a friend and Love In Action volunteer just called and asked if he could get Bill a hotel room for tonight so he can shower and get a good night's rest. Praise God! See, it takes the Body of Christ working together to change lives. That's why people were added to the church daily in Acts. The Body of Christ was in one mind and one accord working together.

It's a blessing helping others. If you can help us help Bill, please let me know.

Please pray for Bill as he starts this new journey.

No comments:

Popular Posts