Saturday, August 1, 2009

Helping the "least of these brothers of mine"

The man sat on the hard concrete of a New York City sidewalk, resting his back against the brick exterior of a business. He wore old faded blue jeans, a white T-shirt, a faded blue jean jacket and a baseball cap.

Martha and I walked up to him on a comfortable July night near the New York City Port Authority. We had a delicious Italian sandwich we had purchased from a deli. I asked him if he was hungry and wanted a sandwich. His eyes lit up and he smiled as he said yes.

I told him that God loves him and this was one way God was showing him.
He thanked us as he unwrapped the sandwich. As we walked away, Martha heard him say, “Thank you Jesus.”

A beat up Ford car was parked outside the Love In Action warehouse in Dothan, Ala., as Martha and I drove up. As I got out I noticed a woman in the front seat and a child in the back seat. A man walked down the sidewalk to the car. I said hello and proceeded to unlock the warehouse. The man looked rough. Not because he was a rough man, but it looked like he hadn’t slept much or had a shower in couple of days.

As I unlocked the warehouse I heard the man say, “I can’t believe it.” Then he asked if I was part of this ministry (our sign is on the wall of the warehouse.) I told him I was, and he told me his story. He, his wife and daughter live in Jackson, Tenn. He’s a carpenter and had come to Dothan, Ala., for a job that was promised to him. The job fell through, so they started to return home.

The alternator on his Ford died, and he spent the last of his reserve money on the alternator and a little food for his family. He showed me his receipt. He asked if we could put gas in their car to help them get back home. I told him to follow us to a gas station and we would fill up his car’s tank. He cried as he thanked and hugged me.

They had slept in their car the past two nights and were tired and in need of a bath. Martha and I invited them into the warehouse and told them to get some clothes and food. The man started crying again. He said they had been praying and God had answered their prayers. We gave them some hygiene kits, socks and underwear as they picked out some clothes and shoes.

It was around 6 p.m., so I asked him if they would like a good night’s rest before heading back to Tennessee. He said that would be great, so we got them a hotel room for the night. After checking them into the hotel, we all hugged and we encouraged them that Jesus was showing them that no matter the circumstances, He was in control and He would take care of them as long as they trusted in and lived for Him. As we left, the man said, “If we don’t see you again here on earth, we will see you in Heaven.”

A man just got out of jail and couldn't go back to his home in Georgia until he met with his probation officer, who would be out of the office until Monday. That meant the man had four nights of living on the streets. A friend directed him to Love In Action and we were able to help.

He had been locked up for 4.5 months for a theft charge. It was his first time in trouble and in jail. He fears the thoughts of ever going back, and has vowed to never touch alcohol again. He was very polite, saying "sir" after nearly every sentence.

I was blessed to take him to get his first meal since being out of jail, where the food is barely digestible. He wanted two double cheeseburgers, fries and a Coke. You would have thought he was eating steak and lobster with a glass of Dom Perignon.

The only clothes he had was what he was wearing, so I took him to the LIA warehouse and told him to pick out all the clothes he needed and a pair of boots. I gave him an army duffel bag to put his clothes in, and topped his bag off with socks, underwear and hygiene items. Then I gave him some food and took him to a hotel where he will spend four nights and get the first good night's rest in nearly five months.

He's going to church with us tomorrow, then with a bus ticket supplied by his family, going home after meeting with his probation officer on Monday.

That’s what Love In Action does. We reach people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ through acts of compassion. Thanks to those who pray and support us, we can show the “least of these brothers of mine” that Jesus loves them. We have seen thousands of souls saved the past nine years, and we couldn’t have done it without those of you who pray for and donate to us. Thank you so much, and may God continue to bless you and your families.

No comments:

Popular Posts