Tuesday, July 3, 2018

We only have one chance, let's make it count


I've noticed the older I get the more I visit friends in hospitals, attend funerals and hear about friends and colleagues dying. Sounds a bit morbid, I know, but it's just life.

If we are blessed to grow old, our bodies wear out and we die. That's just how it is in this fallen world, which leads me to wonder, are we really "blessed" to grow old? Is it worth all the sickness and heartaches? At the ripe old age of 51 - starring down that quickly approaching 52 - I'm thinking it is worth it and it is a blessing. After all, we only get one shot at this life. When it's over, it's over. There's no going back. No mulligans or do-overs.

We have one chance to make a positive influence on this world. With the recent passing of a former colleague and one of my best friends dying a few months ago, it's got me thinking, "Have I been setting the right example?" "Did I properly influence those two guys?" One I can say unequivocally I did. The other, I'm not so confident.

I guess it's easier to have a positive impact on a close friend than a colleague who lives a couple of hours away that you don't spend much time with. But, that's still no excuse. Every moment counts. Do I take advantage of each moment God gives me? I wish I could say yes, but I'm nothing if I'm not honest.

I've missed opportunities. I've made mistakes. In other words, I'm human. But, I don't like excuses. I make none. I just know I need to make the most of each moment and opportunity. I pray that I will.

What about you? Do you think about such things? Are you concerned about the influence you have on each person you meet? Should we? I think so. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I know my Lord and Savior wants to love through me and touch lives for His glory.

I really do care where people spend eternity. That's what matters most. The older I get and the more I understand Jesus and the Bible, I really understand that. I get it. Eternity is coming. There's nothing we can do to stop it. We do have a say where we spend it.

It all depends on what we do with Jesus here on earth. Do we receive His forgiveness and salvation? If so, Heaven, being with Jesus is our eternity. If we deny Jesus, we will be separated from Jesus for eternity. Those are the facts.

Therefore, making sure I show and tell others about Jesus is of utmost importance. It should be for every follower of Jesus. We have one chance, let's make it count for all eternity.

No comments:

Popular Posts