Monday, April 23, 2012

A miraculous healing

I have heard of people being healed and walking away from wheelchairs, but I've never witnessed it firsthand. I've read about it and watched it on TV through skeptical lenses over the years. Not that I didn't believe God could heal people, but I didn't trust the preachers on TV.

What I saw this past Saturday will stay with me for the rest of my life. It was a life-changing experience. One that elevated my faith to heights its never been before.

Many of you either know or have heard about Rick Denney. He's one of my favorite people in the world. He's a dear brother in the Lord and friend. I love this man. He's been a very faithful volunteer at Love In Action for several years, even the past two years as he was bound to a wheelchair.

When I first met Rick he was homeless and an alcoholic. Little did I know he had been watching us at Love In Action. He observed to see how we treated people. He wanted to see if we were real as he had been hurt by "church people" in the past. I guess he liked what he saw, because he walked up to me one day when our ministry center was located on the Montgomery Highway in Dothan, Ala. He was a very humble man, and just a good guy.

He came around often, but every time he came drunk his head was down. He was ashamed. We loved him anyway, and eventually our broken down bus became his home.

Late one Friday night the unthinkable happened. He was run over by a freight train. Yes, a locomotive. The engineer wouldn't get out of the train, because he had seen what happened to people when they were in cars and got hit by a train.

With both hips totally separated, many ribs broken and his left foot nearly ripped off, he laid motionless in the hospital bed. He had large gashes on his face and head. He looked horrible. I remember what he told me that Saturday morning at the hospital. "Bro. Ken, the old Rick died under that train. The new Rick came out from under it." He gave his life totally to Jesus, and he hasn't touched a drop of alcohol since. He tells everyone he meets about Jesus.

I've called Rick our evangelist on wheels. Praise be to God, I can't call him that any more.

Rick called Saturday morning. Martha answered the phone and he said, "I believe God touched me last night. Y'all need to come pick me up." We had all been believing with Rick that God would let him walk again. In fact, he had told us a while back we didn't have to pray for his healing any more, because he believed God had healed him. He was just waiting for God's timing for when he would walk again.

Driving to Rick's Saturday morning, Martha and I both said, "He may be walking when we get there." Nothing prepared us for the miracle we saw.

When we pulled up in the parking lot I called Rick and told him we were there. We got out of the truck and waited. I heard his hotel door open and close quickly, which was different. Then, we saw him walking around the corner. Words can't appropriately describe what Martha and I felt at that moment.

Rick said Martha screamed and ran to him and hugged him. I immediately fell to my knees crying and sobbing out loud worshiping and praising our Heavenly Father who had just miraculously healed my friend.

When Rick walked around that corner, all I could see and feel was the awesome power of God. That has to be why I instantly hit the ground on my knees. I made it back up to my feet and hugged Rick. We cried tears of joy and thanked Jesus for this answer to prayer.

For nearly two years Rick was in a wheelchair. For nearly two years Martha and I and some other LIA volunteers picked him up for Bible study, church, Celebrate Recovery Inside, LIA coffee house, and to pray with people at the LIA health clinic. Many nights I prayed, "God, please let Rick walk again."

Rick went to a tent revival last Thursday and Friday nights with Bro. David Terrell. Rick has told me many stories about Bro. Terrell's tent meetings back in Florida from years ago. When I saw he was in town I told Rick. I knew he'd want to go.

Rick said as he sat there Friday night, he heard Bro. Terrell talk about miracles that he'd seen happen. Rick said he was present for a number of them. Then there was a time for prayer, but Rick didn't go up. He said no man was going to get the glory for his healing.

That night back in his room he prayed to God and asked God when was his miracle going to happen. Early Saturday, Rick woke up and he said God spoke to him and said, "Do you believe I've healed you? Rick said yes. Then God said, "Then get up and walk." So, Rick stood up and walked for the first time in nearly two years. And, he hasn't stopped walking.

No doctor has touched Rick since he was released from the hospital nearly two years ago. No physical therapist ever worked with him. Nobody touched him, but God. And God healed him. Rick even bent over and touched his toes and put his hands flat on the ground while standing up. I can't do that.

Yes, God still performs miracles, and this is one I'll never forget. You can believe it or not, but I believe it, because I know my God. And, I know Rick very well. I know he had no strength in his legs. He couldn't stand, much less take a step until Saturday morning.

God is awesome, and there is no other God but Him. Jesus says that He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is, and He healed back in the days when He walked the earth with His disciples. He still heals today, and He will continue to heal as long as people believe and receive what He has already done.

I thank God for healing my friend and my brother. To God be all of the praise, honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this miracle from God to this friend of yours. Praise the Lord. Yes, Jesus still heals. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. I believe He is coming soon and very soon. That is a wonderful healing and I know your friend is happy. In the first place, he had two miracles. A miracle he wasn't killed by the train; the second is that he was Healed by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Praise the Lord!!!

Popular Posts