Wednesday, September 30, 2009

'Go and make disciples'

I know I've said this before in this blog, but I have to say it again. Martha and I love Wednesday nights. The Bible studies at the Love In Action warehouse are awesome, and they keep getting better and better.

Tonight was Lesson 2 in Discipleship Phase 1, a 10-week course written by our pastor Ralph Sigler of Harvest Church in Dothan, Ala. There are five phases in all, and they are great. Thanks Pastor Ralph for writing it and for being so committed to discipleship. Jesus tells us in Matthew 28:19-20, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

That's what we're doing. We are going and reaching the homeless and poor for Jesus, then making disciples. And, I've never seen a more effective tool to make disciples than the course Pastor Ralph has written.

There were 31 people at Bible study tonight; the work release men, people we have taken off the streets this year, and the homeless. One new homeless man was there tonight. I talked to him on the phone last week. He's a really neat guy, and I'm looking forward to getting to know him better.

The participation and discussion was great. I could tell most of the people did their "homework" last week. We have a group who I really believe has a great desire to know God better. It's unusual to have more than 30 people who all are there for the right reason. This group has become a family, and when new people arrive they are welcomed by everyone.

It's so cool. I hear people talking with the new folks and they tell them, "Welcome. Glad to meet you. Glad you are here. Keeping coming." It's a very warm and welcoming feeling people get as soon as they step into the warehouse.

For the past two weeks people have told me they feel so loved and so welcome at the warehouse. One of the men tonight said, "This is my favorite place to come."

I praise God for all of those statements. Most of the people there have never experienced what a loving family is like. When they come, they are treated like family. They are loved and they love it!

Please keep praying for us and please keep supporting Love In Action. It takes money to rent the warehouse, to pay for utilities, and the snacks and drinks. Your giving makes it all possible. People are being saved and being discipled. You are making an eternal impact in the lives of many people. And, when they start reaching others -- and some already are -- the impact will be even greater.

Praise God!

No comments:

Popular Posts