Sunday, August 27, 2023

Starting Seminary - A Step of Faith (part 1)

 

I'm only two weeks into my first semester at Wesley Biblical Seminary, but I'm already thankful for making the decision to pursue a graduate certificate in theology. It may turn into a master's in theology, but we'll see how it goes with the certificate first.

It's been 32 years since I last took a college course. The year was 1991 and that was my senior year at then Troy State University. They have since dropped the "State" from their name. I graduated Troy with a Bachelor of Science in Print Journalism and Public Relations on Aug. 9, 1991. Whew! Seems like a lifetime ago.

I considered off and on for years about going to graduate school to earn a master's in journalism or business, but never did. Costs were too high. Later as I started serving Jesus in the ministry, I would look every now and then at seminary, but once again cost was the prohibitive factor.  

I pretty much gave up on the idea until this spring. I really felt God telling me it was time. I teach a lot - Bible studies, sermons, discipleship, systematic theology. I felt God telling me it was time for me to learn and grow more in His Word so I can grow personally and lead others even deeper into His Word.

My first question was, "But what about the costs?" Being president and lead pastor of a ministry to the homeless and poor doesn't earn a big paycheck. You don't get into ministry to get rich.

I earned a rather nice salary the last eight years of my newspaper career. If anything, that would have been the time to pursue seminary. But it wasn't. However, I knew this was the time and the direction God was leading me, so I started looking at schools and seeking guidance.

My friend and one of the best Bible teachers I know, Dr. Bill Ury, said I should take a serious look at Wesley Biblical Seminary (WBS). He said for what I was looking for, WBS would be a perfect fit.

After much prayer and research, it came down between WBS and Liberty, but I felt the Holy Spirit's leading to go to WBS. It seemed every conversation was God-ordained and things kept lining up. And, the costs were affordable. I will say that Liberty was also affordable. However, any extra costs on our budget is a challenge for us, so even applying was a step of faith.

Martha encouraged me all the way, so I took the step of faith and applied and I was accepted. The next step was paying for the semester. I told the finance director that I would not be taking out a loan, because I don't believe in going into debt. I told him, "If God wants me to do this, and I believe He does, then He will provide every penny."

I qualified for a $500 scholarship with my GPA from Troy.  Then the financial director told me about a scholarship I could apply for that would be even better than that one. I had to write an essay and have three reference letters. Those letters made me cry when I read them. They were so humbling. 

As it turned out, I along with another WBS student, received the scholarship. It pays for half of my tuition for two semesters. Praise God! But, there was still half the tuition left. No worries. God would take care of it, and He did.

I was talking with a mentor and good friend from my journalism days and told him about my schooling. He loves Jesus and was excited. He said, "The Lord just told me to send you $500 for your seminary." Praise God! Another blessing from God!

Then just two days before tuition was due for this semester, WBS received a check from my home church, Harvest Church Dothan, that paid the remaining balance of my tuition. Praise God! Hallelujah! What can you do but praise God and cry tears of joy?

I had already purchased my books, which were a lot cheaper than my days at Troy. I paid under $300 for nine books. One text book would nearly cost that much back in my Troy days.

I'll end this blog entry here. As a newspaper editor I told my reporters to get in and out of a story. I'm having a hard time getting out of this one, so I'll make it a two-part blog.

In part 2, I'll write about starting classes.

No comments:

Popular Posts