Saturday, August 12, 2023

Zooming for Jesus

 


A discipleship group started with an email from a woman named Melissa in Illinois, although at the time I didn't know she lived in Illinois. 

I received an email from Melissa asking me about our Love In Action School of Discipleship. I explained what we teach and when and invited her to join us. She emailed back that she lives in Illinois. Being the observant person that I am, I quickly understood commuting weekly from Illinois to Dothan, Alabama, might be a little tough.

I had never considered teaching discipleship classes on Zoom, but God spoke to my heart about it, so I asked Melissa if she would be interested in taking discipleship classes on Zoom if I could get a class together. She said yes. I posted on Facebook about it, and soon we had a Zoom class.

That was a year ago and this group of precious disciples of Christ are still going strong. We have met on Zoom every Tuesday night for a little over a year now, and it's been life-changing for all of us. We have completed the following courses: DM2 (Disciples Making Disciple Makers), 50 Commands of Christ, and Creation to Christ. We are now in "Bible Doctrine," which is a systematic theology class.

I love this group more than I can put into words. Everyone is from southeast Alabama except for Melissa. We have another Melissa who is from Headland, Lynn from Cowarts, Renee from Enterprise, and Josh and Rochelle from Daleville. We've recently had Benjamin from Dothan join us. He switches between our Zoom class and our class on campus that is on the same course, depending on his work schedule.

It's amazing how close knit a group can become through an online class. We truly love and care about one another, and we have all gone through good and tough times together this past year.

In addition to studying online together, this group prays for one another. Rarely does a week go by when someone doesn't ask for an update on personal prayer requests from the previous week. 

God has brought together a wonderful family. "Illinois" Melissa has a passion for the lost and hurting and is one or the sweetest people you could ever meet. She has a big heart for children, and took her passion for children to an orphanage in Africa on a mission trip earlier this year.

Lynn is a dear friend and a faithful volunteer at Love In Action. She is in our Zoom class and the class that meets on our campus that's at the same level. She also teaches two DM2 classes at Love In Action. She is a disciple making disciples.

Renee and I worked together at the Enterprise Ledger back in the 1990s, so when I saw she signed up for the class I was excited. I hadn't seen her in a long time. She's a precious woman of God with a big heart for Jesus and is not shy about telling others about Him. She even witnessed to a couple of NASA astronauts recently. Outer space ... the next mission field. LOL

I didn't know our "Headland" Melissa, but what a blessing she is. She wants to learn more and more of God's Word and be a doer of His Word, and she is. She has also volunteered at Love In Action since starting our discipleship classes.

I didn't know Josh and Rochelle prior to starting our Zoom class. They moved to the Wiregrass from Utah, and I'm so thankful God brought them here. They not only are involved in our Zoom class, but they also volunteer at Love In Action on Saturdays. It's been a joy getting to know them and their family. Their son Ace is an outstanding lacrosse player and will be competing at the Div. 1 level as he begins college this fall.

Benjamin is the one who attends via Zoom or on campus depending on his work schedule. He is also a faithful volunteer at Love In Action, in addition to working three jobs. I don't know how he does it, but he does smiling the entire time. If you ever need someone to pray for you, Benjamin is the one to call. This Brother can pray!

Mine and Martha's lives are richer because of this wonderful group of Brothers and Sisters. I look forward to everything God has planned for us. We will finish Bible Doctrine this fall, and then go through a "Seeker Study" and apologetics.

There are other classes I will add to the curriculum, and as long as they want to study on Zoom, we will continue meeting weekly. I look forward to us all growing together in Christ and growing closer together as a family.

Thank you Melissa, Lynn, Josh, Rochelle, Melissa, Renee, and Benjamin for loving God and His Word like y'all do, and thank y'all for loving Martha and me. We both love y'all so much and are forever thankful God brought all of us together. Thank you Illinois Melissa for that first email.

Being a Great Commission Christian is the best life ever, and living this life with y'all makes it even better.

No comments:

Popular Posts